The Help and Winter quarter

Last week, I started reading the novel, The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. It was certainly one of the more interesting books I've read. I suppose it was interesting because the characters kept on switching back and forth between the characters...and interesting because of their situation. Ya know, a white lady writing about "the help?" In Mississippi? Pretty suspenseful stuff. Why was is suspenseful? Because! There was always a question going through my head, like: are they going to get discovered? Is she going to get fired/slapped/shot/...fired?
Seriously. This book was an easy read. I ate up those words like chocolate (and that says a lot about my reading speed). Then again, reading The Help is way more entertaining than reading Kenesiology/ English textbooks. I probably could have finished it in a couple days if not for winter quarter finals and my purposly dragging it out for my 3 day trip coming up. Looks like I failed at that, but oh well. I feel like I read most of it on the way home on the train after my finals were done...and that's a 47 minute ride. Then again, the train is where I do most of my reading anyway.
Overall, I liked the style of the book (how it kept switching from one character to another, combined with their intertwined stories and their personalities) and how it really showed the intense hatred some of the white people had for the... black people. (See, even now, I'm not sure how to address the people that were called "the help" because nothing's politically correct...aka, everything's offensive to everyone. What can I do about it? I'm not of that race, so I don't know what's that offensive.)

-----------Now for the most boring part of the blog: the part about my life:--------------
So far, college has been like high school, just like I've been telling everyone that has asked me, but with more freedom. That's pretty much what I've been saying the whole time and I don't think my out look on college is going to change soon. I mean, I'll be with the same people for the next quarter (not that I'm complaining) and I still have to take math and english classes....ok, well, Stats and English Composition, but it's all the same too me. It's math and english. xD Numbers and letters! xD If there was no train, I know I wouldn't get any work done because when I'm at home I'm always distracted by something...but mostly Facebook and Tumblr...not that I mind...especially the Facebook part. Oh...the stories I could tell about my train/shuttle commute...
Oh yeah... I've been thinking about my ex-bestist friends/"sisters" a lot. It probably has to do with a certain friend's birthday. I wonder when I'll get over all that useless shit. Or will I let it be writing inspiration for the rest of my life? Probably the last one. -__-

Next I'll be reading Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. Never heard of it, but it's been sitting on my Gramma's bookshelf for a couple years...and she said it was good... So I might as well give it a try...tomorrow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years Have Gone By

9 More thoughts plus side thoughts

Mourning is a strange thing