Thoughts on the 'New" Music of "Old" Groups

I keep on hearing Green Day's new single, Oh Love, on the radio station I frequent. I've heard the new Muse single Madness, but on YouTube. I have to say, these new singles are sort of disappointing. But why are they disappointing to you, a huge Green Day and Muse fan?! Becaaauuse they're giving into what's popular today... same with Coldplay, actually, but they had their downturn a couple years ago. Then I stopped caring. But these Green Day and Muse, my two favorite bands...basically of all time have become, well, popy. I'll start with Green Day...

When I first heard Green Day...well, when I first consciously heard Green Day, I was in 6th grade. Yeah... The first actual songs I heard on the radio were from American Idiot, Green Day's "Who-like" rock opera-concept album.To be even more exact, the first song I ever remember liking of Green Day's was, you guessed, Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Yeah, that song and I have a lot of history, but I won't go there. Let's just say it was... and still is, one of my favorite Green Day songs...of all time. They played it on the radio over and over and over and over and over and OVER...also known as: The song was beaten into my head so I liked it...not that I didn't like it at first. Then my dad got the American Idiot CD. Best day of my life. I played Boulevard of Broken Dreams (and American Idiot and Holiday) over and over and over and over and over and over. Then I got into the rest of the CD and played that (I listened to that CD in segments because I was afraid of cussing. Back then I was very afraid of bad language. Now I'm just like... Make sure mom and dad don't hear that...). Yes, over and over and over etc etc. Then I took a Nirvana break. Years later, my junior year of high school, Green Day came out with another single, East Jesus Nowhere. This ignited my love of Green Day even more. They were playing a slightly different style... a little more popy...less of their punk origins. I was a little saddened, but I didn't care, since East Jesus Nowhere was awesome beyond belief. Last of the American Girls...well... meh. I liked 21st Century Breakdown (their very rock opera-y concept album) a lot back then, and I still do, though Viva La Gloria brings back certain memories I don't really want to remember... Then I got into more of the classic Green Day... Dookie, Insomniac, and Warning (which I always find amusing because the music on that album is completely different than any other Green Day CD I've ever heard)... sigh...anyway, a couple months ago, Green Day came out with their newest single, Oh Love. When I first heard it on that radio station I frequent, I was like: WHAT?! THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE GREEN DAY! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! HIS VOICE HAS TURNED WIMP-TASTIC! As I listen to it on YouTube right now, I'm a little disgusted. They've turned into something I don't really like. I get that they're trying to try out new sounds...but this sort of reminds me of... um... the best I can think of is The Fray...'cause I hate The Fray... but mostly Coldplay's modern-music downfall when they started being produced by whatshisface. I don't particularly like modern music (except for certain exceptions, of course...liiike.. Foster The People). I won't hide it. Today's Alternative is turning into either...wimpy, twinkly stuff... I mean soft rock, unnecessarily electronic, or... dumb step...I mean dub step (which I'll get to later). I'm not sure if Oh Love represents that whole trio of Green Day CDs that are coming out months apart, but, unless they come out with a better single... I'm not sure if I'd be willing to buy Uno...or, maybe, out of curiosity, I'd buy it... to see if there's anything better than Oh Love. Oh, has anyone noticed Billie Joe Armstrong's voice changes every CD, along with the style of the CD?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_05XAPR8q8  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6ocb4VoIjo

(Sept 4) And with the release of their other new single, Green Day kills me again. Except this one is better than Oh Love... but of course they say the f-word in...Kill the DJ. It's better than Oh Love for sure, but it's still not the classic Green Day I was hoping for... I mean it's got the over use of the whammy bar, it's not the original Green Day chunk-a-chuncka from Dookie, they use the "in the round" for the end of the song (I mean, what "punk band" does that?!) and Bille Joe's voice is still not the deepest it's been, and it probably won't get any lower. This song actually sort of reminds me of what I've heard of Franz Ferdinand... I actually kind of like this new single, but I have no idea how radio stations are going to bleep out the f-word...because radio stations love botching up censoring songs. As for the video for this song... it's um... strange. At first the three band members are riding motorcycles in the desert, then they're at a rave with people that are later on splattered with blood and the band members are just walking through the rave like they're the baddest asses while trying not to look at the skimpily clothed girls. What do the motorcycles have to do with killing the DJ exactly? Are they trying to be macho?!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7VhkNqjnc I just happened to pause here. Isn't that an attractive face?!


Now for Muse. Okaaayy... I believe the first time I heard Muse, I was in 8th grade and on a different radio station I used to frequent. That single was Starlight and I related, since I was about to graduate middle school, so I ran to iTunes and downloaded it as quickly as possible (though back then as quickly as possible was a couple hours, thanks to a certain dial-up internet provider. UGH.). Then someone stuck an earbud into my ear and I heard SUPERMASSIVE BLACK HOLE! (I had the song going in my head while I typed that. That's why it's all caps...). Then came Guitar Hero III, and I got Knights of Cydonia. For the longest time, those were the only Muse songs I had. Around the same time (I guess) as 21st Century Breakdown came Muses' CD, The Resistance. But of course, the singles came first, I just don't remember what order they came in. I just remember buying both 21st Century Breakdown and The Resistance at the same time after I took my Subject SATs Junior year. When I first heard Uprising and The Resistance (the single), I was like: Wooooaaahhhhh, that's really cool. Then they played Undisclosed Desires. It's alright, but it's a good transition for the calmer parts of the rest of the album. That's the thing I like about Muse. They have real fast, rock sections then surprising classical sections, and rock and classical mixed in... years later, I got into earlier Muse, like Absolution and Origin of Symmetry. Pure awesomeness. Then they put out their new single, Madness. WUB WUB WUB. WUB WUB WUB. Geeze... seriously, Muse?! I have to admit, I like the music video, but I don't like the music. It's too stupidly close to dumb step... I enjoy Matt Bellamy's voice and the strangeness of his guitaring and the other strange things they put in their music... but I don't enjoy the dumb step.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9zhpBweDk  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okwg6PiSis

As for Coldplay... I'm sure by now you guys know my beef with Coldplay... -__-
Oh. Got that job. I'm happy. I hope I do a good job.
I'M SIIIIIIIICK! I hate being sick! (I'm not sick any more)
Now. Time for me to make lunch. It's almost 12:30 after all...
Oh, and credits to all the people who made the videos I linked. Thanks guys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years Have Gone By

9 More thoughts plus side thoughts

Mourning is a strange thing