A Thank You, and Inheritance Review!

 I would like to start off with a thank you to my 8th grade teacher. If it wasn't for him, I would not have started writing in my "Comments Journal" or this blog… that no one really reads… I doubt I would even be comfortable commenting on anything on this blog or anywhere if not for him. Soooo… THANK YOU! You have made a commenter/ writer out of me.

Yesterday I finished reading Chris Paolini's Inheritance. It was probably the best book out of the whole series; I don't remember being so excited about a book from the series or liking another book from that series that much. Though the beginning of Inheritance was pretty boring, once I got past the boring siege of the place I forgot the name of, it got interesting. What I liked about this one is that Paolini goes back and forth between Eragon and Roran, then the Varden (and Eragon) and Roran, then Eragon and Nasuada, and so on. I think that was what kept me interested through the whole book: the switching back and forth between the characters, though it sometimes made the story a little confusing. The detail in Paolini's writing is great, because it isn't boring like Tolkien's and there is just enough to keep you interested in the detail at all (that says a lot because I'm usually one to just skip over the details). Sometimes, the details  are funny, like the little things a character notices or forgot or anything like that. Those are the things that keep me interested.

There were many things I didn't expect in this conclusion of this series (things I won't name for the sake of people who haven't read it), but seriously, I never would have thought that there would be a hidden  __________ in __________ that was hidden for hundreds of years! I expected Eragon to beat Galbratorix, but not THAT way. Blah blaaahhhh...
But of course, the one complaint I have: Eragon and a certain elf didn't get together! NOT. FAIR! I hope there is some type of epilogue where the Riders actually come back and Eragon and this certain elf get together or something. At least these characters are very close in the book, but still… (No, I will not write fan fiction... no way. I leave the writing of actual books to their authors).
Inheritance was a thrill to read, even though I was not sure I'd be able to finish it during my Winter Break cuz it's 849 pages… like I said, I was pulled in after the silly siege of wherever, and I couldn't put it down after that. I mean, really, who makes a book that good any more (besides The Harry Potter series and Revolution and The Matched Trilogy)? That might just be because I may or may not have exhausted my fascination with fantasy books... but seriously, a lot of the good ideas have already been taken and this is a series a know I'll always be able to go back to again and again and be able to find something new every time I read one of those books. Yeah, it's that good!

My next review will be of Crossed of The Matched Trilogy, by Ally Condie. I have no clue when that will be, but hopefully before my break is over! (I'm on page 48... I just started...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years Have Gone By

9 More thoughts plus side thoughts

Mourning is a strange thing