Thoughts on Cryonomaly

I have literally just finished my English teacher's book (in manuscript form. That means he printed it out from his computer), Cryonomaly. You must be wondering why I would even care about my English teacher's book and why the cheese I even have it. Well, that's my fault.
About...I guess six weeks ago, when I was picking classes for Summer/Fall 2012, I came across an English class with a prerequisite that I have never seen offered, and asked if I actually had to take the prerequisite to take the class, since I wasn't majoring in English at the time. Since my English teacher is one of those higher up people, I figured he would know what I was talking about. He sorta did. We talked about the class a little and what I wanted to do with it (just take the creative writing class to take it because I enjoy writing, as you can obviously tell by the fact I've made this blog). Since that gave me enough encouragement to think I would even take the class, I brought some of my two-year-old writing from my Creative Writing class junior year. He liked what I wrote, and in exchange, he gave me the first three chapters of his manuscript. Those first three chapters weren't enough though. I felt like I was left hanging. I asked him for the rest of it, and he e-mailed the 300 page word doc to me. It was either that, or print it all out...and I didn't want to kill all those trees. So, I read away and here's what I think about it.

Cryonomaly, by Michael Rovasio, is what I would call a combination of Star Trek and... (takes 10 minutes to decide this part) some type of army film with some elements of Avatar (the blue people movie, not the cartoon from Nickelodeon), and of course, the usual semi random romance. From the first three chapters, I thought it would be like another book I've read, The Passage, just because it seemed like it was going to have similarities, but I was...and I'm glad I was wrong about the length of the book. Thank the cheese, it was only 300 pages double spaced, 12 point font. *phew*

The first part, the main character is a drug dealer of sorts. He meets a girl and tries to get better for her. And there goes the twist, which I won't say so you guys can read it for yourselves. He gets caught dealing, ends up in the hospital, blah blah blah. The rest is yours to figure out.

Second part, he's an army dude- an experimental army dude. That's where they Star Trek came in for me. Sorta made me think of the Borg. Just a little. Then the Star Trek left for a little when the guy tries to find himself and comes across some problems. He forgets everything about the war he fights and everything else... so the story becomes not only a type of army story mixed in with a little rebellion, but a trying to find yourself story, which is the part the interested me the most- wondering if the dude would ever really find himself and be able to be his own person again, instead of being that experiment.

Part three was still the guy trying to find himself, but this time he is in a different time, which I thought was cool, but I sorta saw that coming. These heroes can never have their way, so it was a predictable plot- not that I didn't like it. He meets people from a different time! Except his existence sorta causes some type of conflict, and I'm not exactly sure what happens in the last couple chapters, but the hero is still alive in a sense. That's for you readers to discover for yourselves.


So Cryonomaly is basically an army dude that is trying to find himself... with help of course. That sounds about right. The world he lives in is very futuristic for sure, but of course there is the corrupt and controlling government and very ... I'd call it violent and cruel religious order. I feel like that future could be a reality one day, the way things are going.

I fee like the transitions into the parts are cut off. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be or not, but I felt like I was left hanging in some of the parts. (See what I did there? Ahahaaa...) Of course the ending left me hanging too, but isn't that how it's supposed to be? He's setting us up for another one! All in all, if it was an actual book, I wouldn't have been able to put Cryonomaly down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Years Have Gone By

9 More thoughts plus side thoughts

Mourning is a strange thing